Accel World Vs Sword Art Online Announced for Western PS4 and PS Vita Release
26/01/2017 Leave a comment
Bandai Namco Entertainment have today surprised the western anime community by announcing that Accel World Vs Sword Art Online, otherwise known as Accel World Vs Sword Art Online: Millennium Twilight in Japan, will be coming to the UK, Europe, Australia and America later this year for the PS4 and PS Vita.
The announcement was made earlier today through the Bandai Namco Entertainment Europe social media profiles with confirmation in the form of an English-translated gameplay trailer; of which highlights what one can expect from the game and that it will be released digitally onto the PS Vita with a retail release planned for the PS4.
Judging from inital gameplay videos (of those released in English and Japanese), as well as my own assumptions, Accel World Vs Sword Art Online acts as a sequel-of-sorts to the previous PS4 and PS Vita release Sword Art Online: Lost Song and we will see members of the Accel World visual-novel (and anime adapatation) enter the online world found within Sword Art Online.
As explained by Bandai Namco Entertainment the story will see everyone’s favourite female AI from Sword Art Online (Yui) captured by the unknown personna Babel and as a result sees Burst Linkers of the Accel World transported into the world of Svart Alfheim whereby the two groups of players join forces to rescue Yui and return things to the way they should be.
Svart Alfheim and the Accelerated World have begun to merge. In the midst of the chaos, Yui has gone missing. Kirito must challenge the Seven Kings of pure color from the Accelerated World to gain access to her location. Players from both groups come together in a war of the worlds where the strongest Burst Linkers and ALO Players are on a mission to save Yui from the hands of Personna Babel.
Although Accel World Vs Sword Art Online is not being advertised as a sequel to Sword Art Online: Lost Song some could consider it as one, especially myself; as not only are the visuals, environments and gameplay mechanics the same as the Sword Art Online: Lost Song – which sees parties of up to three players and players able to fly at will to different heights – but Kuroyukihime from Accel World did make an appearence at the end of the game as an unlockable hidden side-quest.
The quest ended rather adruptly (albeit after a difficult fight with her) but it did leave the question of what would happen next within this world. Of course these could just be my own assumptions; but its true that Accel World Vs Sword Art Online is coming to the PS4 and PS Vita within the UK, Europe and Australia later this year.
- Welcome to the Accelerated World – Cult classic anime series Accel World comes to the West, featuring a large roster of characters from the anime and novel series.
- Take to the Skies – Featuring the fairy ﬂight mechanic of Alfheim Online, players can experience the freedom of ﬂ ight and aerial combat.
- Original Story from the Master of Technology Fantasy – Worlds collide as characters from two of Reki Kawahara’s award winning series’ come together on a journey through time to save Yui in a completely original story.
- The Best of Both Worlds – Combine powers and leverage strengths as you build 3 man teams with your favorite characters from both Accel World (Acceleration/Special Techniques) and Sword Art Online (Flight/Magic)!
- Unite for the Fight – Team up with your friends or challenge your rivals in ﬁerce online multiplayer featuring multiple modes supporting up to 4P.
Release date details have yet to be confirmed, other than a vague Summer 2017, but we do know that it will be released onto the PS4 in both retail and digital forms while the PS Vita will receive a digital only release.